Job Announcement – Executive Director
Description of LIPA
The Legal Information Preservation Alliance (“LIPA”) is a non-profit 501(c)(3) consortium of academic, federal, state and public law libraries working on projects to preserve print and electronic legal information. It is an independent, fee-paid member organization. LIPA’s primary purpose is to provide the leadership, the organizational framework, and the professional commitment necessary to preserve vital paper and electronic legal information by defining objectives, developing and/or adopting appropriate standards and models, creating networks, and fostering financial and political support for long term stability. It provides the opportunity for libraries to work collaboratively on preservation projects at lower cost and to take advantage of the partnerships created by the organization. The organization has an Executive Director and a volunteer Board of Directors which is elected by the members.
LIPA is seeking a creative, collaborative, and dynamic Executive Director to work with the LIPA Board of Directors, LIPA members, and other organizations to advocate for and implement effective programs that advance the mission of LIPA. The Executive Director will work with the LIPA Board to develop and support programmatic activities, outreach and information to members, advocacy and relationships with other organizations, and provide administrative support for the organization, information-gathering and planning for the LIPA Board and committees. The successful candidate will be knowledgeable about current trends, programs and issues regarding preservation of legal materials in all formats; have a demonstrated ability to think strategically; strong interpersonal, collaboration and communication skills; and demonstrated ability to work independently in planning, managing projects and problem solving.
- Provide vision and leadership in furthering LIPA’s mission and strategic plan.
- Work closely with the LIPA Board of Directors to achieve LIPA’s operational goals.
- Provide support for LIPA Committees.
- Plan the annual LIPA business meeting and other LIPA meetings and events, in consultation with the Board.
- Monitor the field to stay abreast of new technologies, grant opportunities, and programs which will further LIPA’s goals.
- Develop marketing and recruiting strategies for implementing programs and increasing membership.
- Communicate and promote LIPA’s goals and activities in the field beyond the membership to professional organizations, other consortia, vendors, independent contractors, consultants, granting agencies, and the media.
- Attend relevant conferences, meetings, and programs for the purposes of professional development, recruitment of new members, furthering LIPA’s goals, and collaboration with LIPA partners and potential partners.
- Develop LIPA budget and monitor expenditures; prepare reports and analyses as necessary for the LIPA Board; manage administrative and business matters.
- Draft, negotiate, and monitor vendor and/or consultant contracts as authorized.
Education and Experience
Bachelor’s degree required. Advanced degree in a library, information, or preservation field preferred. A minimum of three years of increasing responsibility in an academic library, or library-related consortium, non-profit, or other service organization required. Law library experience strongly preferred.
Salary and Benefits
Salary commensurate with background and experience; minimum $50,000 per year. This is a 50% position with variation in the number of hours worked at different times of the year. Vacation and other benefits not included. The anticipated start date for the job is July 1, 2018.
TO APPLY: Please submit a cover letter, resume and three references to Christine Iaconeta, LIPA Vice Chair/Chair Elect, via email to email@example.com. Position to remain open until filled. Priority will be given to those who apply by March 15, 2018.