As we wrap up another annual Preservation Week, it seems like a good time to review LIPA’s services and our accomplishments for the year. Here are the highlights.
PALMPrint (Preserving America’s Legal Materials in Print):
- completed year 2 of the 3-year PALMPrint pilot project
- ingested over 60,000 volumes
- held a PALMPrint Update and Futures Meeting in October 2014
- working on gap filling to complete the federal and state primary law materials
- working on improving the access and retrieval processes
- appointed a Futures Committee to address issues and questions for Year 3 and beyond
- produced a highly successful webinar on Feb. 6 (Digitization Is Possible: Identifying & Overcoming Barriers); the recording and toolkit are available here
- co-sponsored the Law Repositories conference and presented the Is Digitization Preservation? debate; see earlier blog posts on the conference and the program
- presenting a program at the July AALL annual meeting in Philadelphia (Quality Digitization Projects on a Budget)
Digitization registry – We launched our survey of digitization projects on April 29. The information gathered from this survey will allow us to build a registry of digitization projects in order to share expertise, avoid duplication of effort, and publicize and promote the work of our members.
Web archiving – We offer a subscription service that allows LIPA members to harvest and preserve collections of digital content and create digital archives, using the Archive-It web archiving service from the Internet Archive. Currently seven LIPA member libraries are archiving web content.
Law Review Preservation Program – We have a partnership with bepress and CLOCKSS that allows any law review content on the Digital Commons platform to be automatically archived in CLOCKSS. This program is open to all law reviews on Digital Commons, not just those from LIPA members.
We are busy, but we welcome ideas for new programs and services. Preservation Week: Pass It On!
Margaret K. Maes
Legal Information Preservation Alliance
P. O. Box 5266
Bloomington, IN 47407